For us it has been an amazing weekend! On Saturday we enjoyed staying indoors baking muffins while it was pouring rain. We make a few different types of muffins, so today I will share this one with you.
There are many great blueberry recipes out there. After trying so many along the years, this is one on my favourites.
These muffins are light and fluffy. The next day, they continue as fresh as the day they were baked. The Thyme glaze is an amazing combination. It’s very aromatic and it just brights up in your mouth being so different from what we are used to, when eating a blueberry muffin.
Blueberry Muffins with Thyme Glaze
- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour milk (recipe follows)
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- Thyme Glaze (recipe follows)
- Sour Milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar with enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid. Stir and let stand for 10 minutes before using
- Thyme Glaze
- 1/4 cup Thyme Syrup (recipe follows)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Whisk together Thyme Syrup and icing sugar until smooth
- Thyme Syrup
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 14 cup water
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar water and thyme to a boil over medium high heat, stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and let cool. Remove thyme sprigs when cool.
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line large muffin cups with parchment paper or coat well with cooking spray.
- Step 2 In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Step 3 In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl.
- Step 4 Add eggs and vanilla, beating well after each addition.
- Step 5 Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with sour milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Step 6 With a spatula, fold in blueberries.
- Step 7 Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Step 8 Bake for 5 minutes. Then Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue baking for 25 minutes or until muffins are golden brown.
- Step 9 With a wooden pick insert in centre, it should come out clean.
- Step 10 Let cool in pans for 5 minutes.
- Step 11 Drizzle with Thyme Glaze and serve warm or at room temperature.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating. I’m so excited to hear from all of you! Sharing on social media is much appreciated!