Braised Green Peas with Poached Eggs is a beautiful bright dish to serve at home for family and friends. It is truly a hearty, comfort food that is perfect for any day of the week!
It is based on a traditional Portuguese dish called “Ervilhas com ovos escalfados“. One of many dishes I had when I was living in Portugal. I remember it being a quick dish to make, especially when there had been no time to prepare dinner. I recall it being very delicious and strong in flavours. It is tradition to use the Portuguese cooked pork sausage called “chourico” and beautiful fresh red tomato sauce.
Being so delicious, I enjoy reinventing my own dish, never putting aside old traditions, but making new memories.
In my own recipe, I substituted the tomato sauce for white wine and homemade chicken broth. I feel that the tomato sauce does upset my stomach. That is why we make our own tomato sauce from scratch and then freeze it for whenever we need it. It is not as red but I believe it is healthier.
This time, I didn’t use a whole “chourico”, I only used a bit. I did substitute it for smoked chicken sausage. The “chourico” gives a very strong and intense flavour. That’s not what I wanted to achieve with this dish. Using the chicken broth allowed the flavours to enrich in a different level but not as strong.
If you are tempted in using the traditional Portuguese cooked pork sausage, you can find it at a butcher shop in any Portuguese neighbourhood. They will help you find the right one for this dish.
The green peas are amazing and sweet. So there is a beautiful contrast with the sweetness of the peas combined with the chicken broth or the strong flavour of the “chourico”. The poached egg, is a must have in this dish, everyone loves an egg! The yolk simply flows in between the green peas and the taste is amazing.
If you enjoy this dish, I am sure you will love Collard Greens Soup. it’s a traditional Portuguese soup, which we call “Caldo Verde”
Braised Green Peas with Poached Eggs
A traditional family recipe, 'Ervilhas com ovos escalfados'. Portuguese comfort food with smoked sausage, green peas and poached eggs. Perfect for any day of the week!
- 1/3 cup bacon, cut in strips
- 1/4 cup chourico, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 smoked chicken sausages, sliced
- 1/2 tsp dry parsley
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- dry rosemary, a pinch
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth
- 3 cups frozen or fresh green peas
- 1 cup boiling water, if necessary
- salt, to taste
- 4 eggs, poached.
- Step 1 In a medium saucepan, on medium high heat, add the bacon, chourico and drizzle with olive oil. Stir for about 2 minutes.
- Step 2 Add the onion and smoked chicken sausage. Stir and let cook for about 4 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Step 3 Add the parsley, basil, rosemary, ground pepper and pour in the white wine. Continue stirring.
- Step 4 Pour in the chicken broth and let it come to a boil. In the meantime add in the green peas. Adjust the salt, if necessary. After 8 minutes, reduce the heat. The green peas are almost tender and as the broth simmers, carefully break the eggs into the broth.
- Step 5 Cover the saucepan with a lid and let the eggs cook for about 5 minutes. The eggs will be soft and the yolk should be runny. Serve with white rice or toast.
MORE SIMPLE RECIPES TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?