It’s the first week of school, more than ever we need to be even more creative with the snacks we give our children. My son asked for waffles, so we baked Cheddar Cornmeal Waffles to take to school, not as a lunch but as a snack! Snacks are to be easy to eat and ready to go. At the end of the day, kids have more time to eat their snacks than what’s in there lunch box.
I would suggest to add to this simple Cheddar Cornmeal Waffle recipe some Crispy bacon, caramelized onions and sprinkle some oregano over them before placing them into the Waffle Iron. That for sure, would be a treat!
I would totally recommend an Waffle Iron to successfully make this recipe, they are an amazing tool to have in the kitchen!
Cheddar Cornmeal Muffles
What a create way to eat cornbread. Perfect for snacks and easy to make.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour milk
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Step 1 In a small measurement bowl, prepare the sour milk: 2 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar with enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid, let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Step 2 In the bowl of a stand mixer, add and stir in cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Step 3 Whisk an egg to the sour milk, then pour into the cornmeal mixture.
- Step 4 Add the grated cheddar and the melted butter. Using the stand mixture, beat all the ingredients at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Step 5 Preheat the waffle iron and coat well with cooking spray.
- Step 6 With ¾ cup portions, place the batter in the center of waffle iron and cook until golden, for about 4 minutes.
MORE SIMPLE RECIPES TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on the link and end up buying this product, I make a percentage of the sale! The products that I mention on my post I truly recommend them.