This week is all about chicken, we all feel under the weather, so the best soup would be our homemade “canja de galinha”. In English, we call it Chicken Noodle Broth Soup. This is a traditional Portuguese dish that we always make when someone at home isn’t feeling well. It’s a soup that feels good, comfy and it fills up that empty spot!
“Canja de galinha” is laterally homemade Chicken Broth with shredded chicken and noodles to heal the tummy and it’s perfect for any time of the day!
Broth made from scratch, using only the leg and tight of the chicken. It’s healthy and full of incredible flavor. I simply wash the chicken and place it in salted water. We don’t remove the bone nor the skin, that’s what gives all the goodness. In this broth we don’t add any veggies except for an onion and dry parsley. that’s it! When the chicken meat no longer is pink, we add in the small noodles and a pinch of parsley an let cook until tender. Shred the chicken and serve in each soup bowl.
Chicken Noodle Broth Soup
A traditional family recipe, 'canja de galinha'. It's broth made from scratch that feels good, comfy and it fills up that empty spot!
- 7 cups of water
- 1 chicken leg and tight, bone in and skin on
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced in 4
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup small noodles
- 1/2 tsp dry parsley.
- Step 1 In a medium saucepan, on medium heat, bring salted water to a boil.
- Step 2 Meanwhile wash the chicken and place it in the pot. Be sure that water is enough to cover the chicken.
- Step 3 Add the onion, bay leaf, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer until chicken meat is no longer pink, for about 15 minutes.
- Step 4 Add the small noodles into the pot and stir for a minute so the noodles don’t stick to the bottom.
- Step 5 Add one more cup of boiling water, adjust the salt and sprinkle in the dry parsley.
- Step 6 Cook the noodles until tender.
- Step 7 Before serving, remove the chicken from the pot, allow it to cool and remove the bone and the skin.
- Step 8 Shred the chicken meat with 2 forks and add to the bowls of soup.
MORE SIMPLE RECIPES TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?