Happy Monday! This weekend we have been working on a few new recipes to share with you. In between thoughts and experimenting, we came up with this Chorizo Ham Cheese Tortilla recipe. You may not know, but we are very new at blogging. So sharing our meals and sweets with you has been an adventure so far. Our recipes are meals that we had for dinner and what we prepare on the weekends. Our bakes are based on what would be easy for my husband and son to take as a snack to work and to school. As you can see, we simply bake and cook for us. We then setup a photo shot before eating so that we can share each recipe with you. It’s been fun and hard work. We are learning while we go into this blogging posting adventure.
With all said, try this delicious Chorizo Ham Cheese Tortilla recipe. It is simple to make. Why not ask your children to help prepare it with you. I asked Rodrigo to do the same and he enjoyed layering the tortilla and whisking the eggs with 100% natural yogurt. While he is helping me out in the kitchen, it makes him more aware of what he is eating. He is a little picky!
To slice the potatoes and onions really thin I used a mandoline. I would recommend buying one. It is very helpful in the kitchen, and it just makes our lives so much easier. What I would suggest is slice the potatoes and onion first (it is not child proof, nor husband proof), and let them help you layer the tortilla.
Before layering the Tortilla, place the onion slices into the skillet and simple don’t stir them around. Let them sit in the olive oil. When ready, place the tender potatoes over the light caramelized onions. The Chorizo that we use is Smoked Portuguese Chorizo, it has a lot of flavor compared to the ones bought on the selves. As for the ham, we buy about 4 inches thick and cut it in cubes or chop it depending on what we need it for.
After scattering the Chorizo and ham over the potatoes, grate the Mozzarella Cheese directly over the mix and sprinkle the Parmesan. To complete the layer sprinkle some dry basil and thyme. After repeating this process one more time, pour the egg mixture evenly over the layers and then place it in the oven. What a treat it will be!
After baking it in the oven for about 20 minutes, flip the tortilla onto the back of a baking sheet and slide it back into the skillet to bake for another 15 minutes. The caramelized onions are now the first thing you see when presenting the Tortilla. It truly looks delicious!
I would totally recommend a mandoline to successfully make this recipe, it’s very useful to have in the kitchen!
Chorizo Ham Cheese Tortilla
Healthy and delicious homemade Tortilla loaded with flavour and veggie goodness, with smoked chorizo and ham.
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and finely sliced
- pinch of salt
- 1 bay leaf
- drizzle olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- drizzle olive oil
- 100 grams smoked chorizo, chopped
- 100 grams smoked ham, chopped
- Mozzarella, grated
- Parmesan, grated
- dry basil and dry thyme, to taste
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup 100% natural yogurt
- salt and ground pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Step 1 In a medium pot, on medium heat, bring salted water to a boil. Add in the bay leaf and drizzle with olive oil.
- Step 2 Meanwhile, using the mandoline, switch to the slicer attachment and slice the potatoes and the onion not too thin. When the water comes to a boil, lower the heat and place the potatoes in simmering water for only a minute. If the potatoes become tender, it is harder to work with.
- Step 3 Simply remove them from the heat, drain them and pass them through cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Step 4 Preheat the oven to 350F. In a cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Step 5 Add the onion slices into the skillet without breaking them a part. Let them sit on low heat.
- Step 6 Over the onions, place 1 layer of sliced potatoes. Place chorizo and ham evenly over the potatoes. Grate the mozzarella and parmesan cheese directly and evenly over the mixture and then sprinkle dry basil and thyme as well, to taste. Repeat the process again.
- Step 7 In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with salt and pepper, to taste and add in the yogurt. Continue whisking until fluffy and light.
- Step 8 Pour the egg mixture over the layers and shake until evenly coated.
- Step 9 Place it into the oven and let it bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, and flip the tortilla onto the back of a baking sheet.
- Step 10 Having the onion side up, slide the tortilla back into the hot iron skillet and place it into the oven for another 15 minutes. 2 minutes before taking it out of the oven, put it on broil until onions are golden brown.
- Step 11 Remove from the oven and sprinkle fresh parsley over the tortilla and let cool for a minute or two before serving.
MORE SIMPLE RECIPES TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on the link and end up buying the product, I make a percentage of the sale! The products that I mention on my post I truly recommend them.