Last week I adventured myself with the kids in going to the market. The kids spent a whole week at home because of the March Break Holiday. Of course I enjoyed having them home with me, all day, but it’s good to be back to my regular daily routine, only Scarlett and me. While at the Market, we grabbed some fresh Asparagus and we made Delicious Asparagus and Leek Soup. It was so creamy and full of flavour! This is the kind of dish that we enjoy to start our meal with, it simply hits the spot. In our family we have the habit to serve a bowl of soup before the main course, so that the kids can eat all those veggies. I could suggest, to serve this soup with salted cheese on some hearty, crusty bread, with dark olives. This would be a perfect dinner for two.
Delicious Asparagus and Leek Soup
This delicious and fresh chopped Asparagus brings so much richness and flavour to a bowl of soup!
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 large leek, trimmed, chopped (the white and the green leaves)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 200 grams pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of salt to taste
- 2 bunches of asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces (200 grams)
- Step 1 Prepare all the ingredients first.
- Step 2 In a large pot over medium-high heat, pour in the water and the broth, add in the chopped leek, carrots, potatoes, and pumpkin. Toss in a bay leaf and season with salt, to taste.
- Step 3 Cover with a lid to bring to a boil and then lower the heat to medium and allow the vegetables to cook until tender.
- Step 4 Before blending the vegetables with a hand blender remove the bay leaf. On low speed, puree the vegetables until smooth and creamy.
- Step 5 Add the asparagus and cook them for a few minutes on low heat for about 8 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!