Dutch Oven Slow Cook Whole Chicken is a super easy dinner option and the leftover chicken can be used in countless other dishes. Once and a while we all go out to get a rotisserie chicken, but it’s quite expensive and normally it serves the purpose of a meal instead of two. So why not think ahead and go to the local butcher, buy a whole chicken, a size that will fit in a Dutch Oven and for sure there will be leftovers for a second meal. This slow cook chicken has just a few minutes of prep time, you can set it in the oven and in a few hours you have dinner ready for the family!
It will take a few hours to cook the whole chicken on low heat. But when it is ready, the chicken will be full of flavour and the meat pink tender. To achieve that golden brown crispy skin normally associated with rotisserie chicken, I put on broil for about 5 minutes. When cooking a 5 pound chicken, we end up with enough leftovers for lunch for me and dinner for the next night. The first night we all enjoy eating the wings, legs and tights, we serve it with vegetables and rice. The following night, I shred half of the remaining chicken for a casserole, and the night after I make a soup from all of the leftover meat. But that’s not all we do with the chicken, we make our own chicken broth or bone broth! This I will leave for another post.
Here are a few ideas for the leftover chicken
- Chicken Spinach Mushroom Pot Pie
- Low Fat Creamy Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Pasta Salad
- Au Gratin Potatoes with fresh spring beans and leftover shredded chicken
- Chicken Noodle Vegetable Soup
Dutch Oven - Slow Cook Whole Chicken
These whole chicken takes about 4 hours to cook but the results are succulent and juicy.
- 5 pound whole chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- 10 ml dry rosemary
- 1 tsp piri-piri
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh squeeze lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 cup bacon strips
- 4 fresh thyme stems
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 300F and thoroughly wash the chicken.
- Step 2 In a wide Dutch Oven, drizzle in the oilve oil, add in the chopped onions, and bay leaf.
- Step 3 Place the whole chicken over the bed of onions.
- Step 4 With a sharp knife, make surface cuts in the chicken.
- Step 5 In a large bowl, add all the other ingredients, except for the garlic and bacon strips, thyme stems and butter. Stir the ingredients and brush the chicken evenly, pour the rest of the mixture into the Dutch oven.
- Step 6 Insert the sliced garlic and bacon strips into the cuts, the flavour will melt into the chicken meat.
- Step 7 Place fresh thyme stems over the chicken to give that extra flavour.
- Step 8 Cover with a lid and allow the chicken to cook slowing in the preheated oven for 4 hours or until the chicken is golden on the outside and fork tender in the inside.
- Step 9 Remove the chicken from the oven and coat it with melted butter.
- Step 10 Without the lid, place it back into the oven and broil for about 4-5 minutes or until chicken skin is golden brown and crispy.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?Follow
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on the link and end up buying this product, I make a percentage of the sale! The products that I mention on my post I truly recommend them.