Low Fat Creamy Chicken Casserole was a hit this week in the kitchen. In our family we enjoy eating chicken. It’s a dish that we have every week. We love eating chicken wings baked in the Air Fryer. Warm Chicken soup with noodles and herbs. We also enjoy sauteing and tossing it over the heat with some seasonal veggies, and because chicken can be made in so many ways, we try to be create when making a chicken dish in our home.
The night before we had roasted a chicken in the oven, that by the way was very tasty, and of course, there were leftovers. So I thought, let’s be creative and combine that leftover chicken with some creamy yogurt sauce and then toss it into the oven to broil for only a couple of minutes. This is the same creamy yogurt sauce that I used on the Spring Bean Casserole recipe and it came out amazing and rich in flavor. We couldn’t go wrong with the Chicken Casserole. To make the evening even more appealing, I baked the chicken in individual casseroles. The results were amazing!
How to make the creamy yogurt sauce
I caramelize an onion and then add flour and pour milk over the mixture for about 8 minutes or until the sauce becomes thicken. Once it’s thickened, I add 100% natural yogurt into the sauce. Taste it and add salt and ground pepper, to taste.
You may be wandering about the natural yogurt, well, I really don’t like adding extra fat to my recipes if I feel that it’s not necessary. Yogurt is low in fat, high in protein and it gives great results to any dish that I have made. But, if you prefer an even richer flavor you can always substitute the yogurt for sour cream and heavy cream.
In each casserole we topped it up with grated Mozzarella Cheese and on top of that, we added breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan and herbs. Broil the casserole for a few minutes until golden brown.
Wow, with leftover chicken, and a little of creativity we just made a delicious dish in 10 minutes that goes well with Crunchy Creamy Herb Mash Potatoes, white rice or pasta.
Low Fat Creamy Chicken Casserole
A family favorite recipe, using leftover chicken. It's low in fat, creamy and high in protein.
- 440 grams chicken, shredded
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of dry thyme
- 200 grams 100% natural yogurt
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, grated
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp dry Parmesan
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to broil. Coat individual baking dish with non stick spray.
- Step 2 In a small bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan and parsley and set aside.
- Step 3 In a medium bowl shred the leftover chicken and then set aside.
- Step 4 In a large wide saute pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions and stir until translucent and lightly caramelized.
- Step 5 Sprinkle the flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Step 6 Pour in the milk 1/2 a cup at a time and continue stirring while pouring in the milk.
- Step 7 Add in the the salt and pepper, the nutmeg and dry thyme. Let cook and continue stirring for about 8 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Step 8 Remove from the heat and fold in the natural yogurt into the sauce until combined.
- Step 9 Transfer half of the shredded chicken into the prepared individual baking dish.
- Step 10 Evenly, spread half of the yogurt sauce over the chicken. Transfer the remaining chicken and over that the remaining yogurt sauce.
- Step 11 Spread grated mozzarella over the dish evenly and sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the mozzarella.
- Step 12 Place the individual dishes into the oven to broil. Remove it after 2 minutes or when the casserole is nicely crispy and golden brown on top.
- Step 13 NOTE:If you don’t have leftover chicken you can start from scratch. In a medium saucepan, on medium heat, bring salted water to a boil.
- Step 14 Place half a chicken into the water. Add enough water to cover the chicken.
- Step 15 Add an onion, cut in four, bay leaf and drizzle with olive oil.
- Step 16 Bring to a boil and simmer until chicken meat is no longer pink, for about 15 minutes.
- Step 17 Transfer chicken to a bowl, allow to cool, remove the bones and shred the chicken meat with 2 forks.
MORE SIMPLE RECIPES TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?