This Roasted Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Green Bean Soup is delicious and very unique. We try to eat what is in season. The reason is because the vegetables taste fresher and you can also find them with a nicer price than what is not in season.
Every Sunday after lunch, we prepare ahead of time a few meals for the week. If we decide to roast a chicken or some pork we will for sure roast some vegetables. This is how we came up with this delicious roasted soup. At the end of the week we had a few roasted vegetables laying in the fridge and what not better to make a delicious vegetable soup with all the leftover vegetables. The flavours are stunning and rich and it was worth every spoon. The vegetables are already roasted, so it took no time at all to transform it into a soup. The only new ingredient we added to the pot were the fresh green beans that only took a few minutes to cook.
This is one of many soups you can make with leftover roasted vegetables. We encourage you to prepare a few vegetables ahead of time while the oven is being used during other meal prep. Store those vegetables in the fridge to eat as a side dish or to make a quick delicious pot of soup. We also encourage you to start making your own homemade broth. The simple way to do this is, after slow cooking a chicken, pork neck or even vegetables in the oven or cooking them in the Instant pot, save the broth for later. It adds so much flavour to soup or when making a pot of rice or pasta.
Roasted Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Green Bean Soup
Burst of flavours when using roasted vegetables in a soup!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet potatoes, roasted with the peel
- 1 medium onion, chopped and roasted
- 2 medium size carrots, chopped and roasted
- 2 medium potatoes, unpeeled, chopped and roasted
- 400 grams butternut squash, peeled, unseeded, chopped and roasted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp white wine
- salt to taste
- a pinch of dry oregano and dry parsley
- 3 cups homemade chicken broth
- 6 cups water
- salt, to taste
- 300 grams green beans.
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 375F. Wash and stub the sweet potato a few times with a fork. Wrap it in aluminum foil and bake it until soften.
- Step 2 In a large bowl with all the other vegetables season with olive oil, bay leaf, garlic clove, white wine, salt to taste, a pinch of dry oregano and dry parsley. In a bowl, toss them around a few times to evenly coat the vegetables.
- Step 3 Transfer them into a ceramic oven dish and cover with aluminum foil. Allow them to cook in the preheated oven for about an hour or until fork tender.
- Step 4 In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in the roasted unpeeled and chopped sweet potato, onion, carrots, potato and butternut squash and let cook for about 4 minutes in the olive oil.
- Step 5 Pour in the broth, and water. Bring to a boil and adjust the salt. Reduce the heat to medium. Allow it to simmer.
- Step 6 Using a hand blender, on low speed, puree the vegetables until smooth. Add the green beans and allow them to cook for a couple of minutes or until fork tender. Serve hot and enjoy!