I looked back at my notes and found a recipe for cornbread loaf. They are old recipes that belonged to my grandmother. I am baking up some snacks to take to work and to put in Rodrigo’s snack box. I thought this recipe would be perfect for the occasion. But my grandmother’s recipe needs some more goodness to it. So what could be better than 12 Savory Bacon Onion Cornbread Muffins.
Not too long ago, we made Savory Cornbread Egg Muffins and they were amazing and rich with the boiled egg in the center. So we decided to bake them again without adding the boiled egg. In this recipe, we added bacon strips and chopped onions to give it a kick!
Savory Bacon Onion Cornbread Muffins
Perfect easy to make homemade Cornbread muffin with the rich taste of caramelized onions and crispy bacon. A hearty snack or perfect on the go breakfast.
- 1 cup bacon, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 pinches of rosemary
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup grated, sharp cheddar cheese
- pinch of oregano
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 4ooF and arrange the rack in the middle of the oven and grease with non stick spray 12 muffin tins.
- Step 2 In a small nonstick skillet, over medium heat, stir the onions and the bacon until caramelized and crispy, for about 2 minutes and then set aside.
- Step 3 In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and rosemary.
- Step 4 Stir in the milk, egg and melted butter.
- Step 5 Add the cheddar, the bacon and the onion.
- Step 6 Divide the batter between the 12 muffin tins.
- Step 7 Sprinkle the oregano over the muffins.
- Step 8 Bake the muffin for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Step 9 Insert a cake tester in the centre of the muffins, it will come out clean.
- Step 10 Let cool in the tins before removing them.
MORE SIMPLE RECIPES TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?