Savory Spinach Feta Garlic Muffins
One of the greatest challenges in baking is, understanding the making of a recipe and achieving to what you want it to become. Another important step, is accepting that there are recipes that have some weird name combination but it doesn’t mean it’s going to taste funny. This is not always easy to explain to an eight year old. So as a mother it is my duty to explain once, twice or as many times needed.
For tomorrow, I wanted to make a savory muffin for the boy’s lunch boxes, something that can go well with the chicken wings that I’m going to make for dinner. So, I thought about spinach…
Spinach goes well with feta and feta goes well with anything. So, why not a muffin! They are easy to carry and yummy to eat. The family will love it!
Why the garlic, very simple to explain. Before blanching the spinach in boiling water, I seasoned it with garlic, salt, bay leaf and olive oil. It just gives so much flavor to the spinach.
With all said, Rodrigo helped me combine the ingredients into the stand mixer and of course there were so many questions. For example: “why spinach?” or “why is it so green?” or “Is it done yet?”
It is always rewarding to spend time with the family especially while doing something we love. Cooking and baking brings us together and it’s a theme for conversation.
Savory Spinach Feta Garlic Muffins | makes 8
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of salt
- drizzle of olive oil
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ½ tsp + ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 100 grams feta cheese, grated
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 400F and line parchment paper in a the muffin tins.
- Step 2 In a saucepan of boiling water, garlic, bay leaf and a drizzle of olive oil blanch the spinach for 1 minute. Drain and squeeze to get rid of excess water. Chop finely and mince the cooked garlic.
- Step 3 In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder.
- Step 4 In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, milk, salt and pepper.
- Step 5 In a small bowl, stir together the spinach, nutmeg and feta cheese.
- Step 6 Add the egg mixture and the spinach mixture into the flour, mix until combined. Fill the muffin tins.
- Step 7 Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350F and continue baking for about 25 to 30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Step 8 Remove them from the oven and let cool in muffin tins for 5 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating. I’m so excited to hear from all of you! Sharing on social media is much appreciated!