It is the time when we all want a nice Warm Comfy Homemade Veggie Soup. This recipe is simple and easy to made. After a couple of attempt we were able to make this soup from scratch with the help of a Soup Mix. It has green and yellow split peas, rice, pearl barley and red split lentils. You can find it in any supermarket but I truly don’t agree with the instructions on the back of the package. We added a lot more water to that 1 cup of soup mix recommended.
We also, added a few more veggies and half of a Portuguese smoked chorizo to our warm comfy homemade veggie soup to give that amazing traditional flavor.
I would totally recommend a heavy bottom saucepan to successfully make this recipe, it’s wonderful to bake in!
Warm Comfy Homemade Veggie Soup
It is the season for an ultimate warm homemade comfy soup full of veggies and the taste of smoked chorizo.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- medium onion, diced
- half smoked chorizo, sliced
- 1 cup soup mix (green and yellow split peas, rice, pearl barley and red split lentils
- 4 cups warm water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- dry parsley, a pinch
- dry thyme, a pinch
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, diced
- 3 cups warm water
- Step 1 In a medium saucepan, on medium heat, drizzle in the olive oil and place in the onions and chorizo. let caramelize and cook for 4 minutes.
- Step 2 Rinse and add in the soup mix. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Step 3 Add 4 cups of water and and bring to a boil. Season with salt, ground pepper, dry parsley and dry thyme.
- Step 4 Place in the tomatoes and add another 3 cups of warm water.
- Step 5 Meanwhile, slice up the veggies and add them to the soup.
- Step 6 Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium low, cover the saucepan and let it simmer for 60 minutes.
- Step 7 Add in 3 more cups of warm water and let simmer for another 30 minutes. Serve hot.
MORE SIMPLE RECIPES TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on the link and end up buying a heavy bottom saucepan, I make a percentage of the sale! The products that I mention on my post I truly recommend them